2X Cans Biona Organic young Jackfruit
60ml BBQ seasoning (2 Tbsp. Biona coconut sugar + 1 tsp paprika + 1 tsp garlic powder + 1/2 tsp salt + 1/2 tsp pepper + 1/2 tsp chili powder)
180ml Biona Organic BBQ sauce + more for topping
- 400g shredded cabbage + carrots
- 1/2 ripe avocado
- 1 Tbsp. Biona Organic Maple Agave Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Biona Organic lemon or lime juice
- Salt + pepper to taste
- Water to thin
- 4-6 whole grain buns
1/2 cup roasted salted cashews (or roast on your own*)
1. Rinse, drain, and thoroughly dry jackfruit. Place in a mixing bowl and set aside.
2. Mix together BBQ seasoning and add to jackfruit. Toss to coat.
3. Heat a large frying pan over medium heat. Once hot, add 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil and seasoned jackfruit. Toss to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes to achieve some color.
4. Add BBQ sauce and thin with enough water to make a sauce. Stir and reduce heat to low- medium and cook for about 20 minutes (up to 35 minutes on low for a deeper flavor).
5. Remove lid and stir occasionally. TIP: For finer texture, use two forks to shred the jackfruit as it cooks down.
6. In the meantime, make slaw by adding all ingredients except vegetables (avocado through salt + pepper) to a small mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Thin with water until a thick sauce is made, then add veggies and toss to coat. Set in the refrigerator until serving.
7. Once the jackfruit has been properly simmered, turn up heat to medium-high and cook for 2-3 more minutes to get a little extra color/texture Then remove from heat.
8. Place generous portions of slaw on the bottom buns, top with generous serving of BBQ jackfruit, and cashews. Serve with extra BBQ sauce!
9. Leftover jackfruit keeps for up to a couple days in the fridge, though best when fresh.