Emirates has added vegan options to its main food menu in the business and first class for Veganuary.
A vegan main course is available on flights from Dubai to the US, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Addis Ababa. Economy customers flying to Addis Ababa will also be served a vegan option, due to “popular demand”.
Vegan meals options which will be offered to passengers this month include:
- Tofu Jalfrezi – a spiced tofu and vegetable stir fry served with steamed wild rice and tandoori broccolini;
- Shitake Ravioli served with coriander pesto and edamame
- Ancho three-bean chilli – a spiced vegan stew of peppers and beans served with corn cakes, chimichurri and tofu aioli
- Shitake fried rice served with sautéed asparagus and oyster mushrooms and Marmite sauce
- Misir Wat – an Ethiopian style spicy red lentil stew, served with sauteed spinach and spiced potatoes and carrots
Emirates confirms that vegan meals are extremely popular. Last year the airline served 345,000 plant-based meals inflight, including vegan cheese and vegan chocolates in premium classes.
Vegan dishes can be pre-booked which means they can be requested in advance on all flights and in all classes.