Tori Amos was asked by media platform npr.org to recommend one thing that is helping her get through the days of isolation during the coronavirus pandemic. The pop star responded that what's keeping her sane was vegan cooking.
Amos said that she usually cooks with her daughter, Tash, as cooking together is a way of bonding and brings them some calm. During the quarantine, there have been two vegans in their house, so they prepare meat-free meals that can be enjoyed by everyone. She also shared her favourite 'Mushroom Magic' stew recipe with her fans.
Here's how to make it:
Tori's Mushroom Magic Recipe
Cooking time (for the crockpot or slow cooker): On low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours
- 1 cup flour
- 3 packs each at 250g of chestnut mushrooms
- 2 large onions
- 4 stalks celery
- 1 large carrot about a cup
- 1 parsnip
- 6 cups white potatoes
- 6 cups veggie broth
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 6-8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Wash and cut up potatoes in reasonable bite size and leave in a bowl of cold water so as not to turn brown
- Peel the parsnip and carrot wash, then chop, and put aside in a bowl
- Chop onion; put in a bowl.
- Wash and chop celery; put in a bowl.
- Wash all the mushrooms and then chop for frying.
- Pour around 1/3 cup of flour onto a plate.
- Dredge the mushrooms in the flour, placing on another plate.
- Place skillet on medium heat, adding 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.
- Once the oil is heated, place floured mushrooms in a very warm skillet. Grind some pepper over them and add a good pinch of sea salt. Once they start to turn golden, flip each mushroom, then place in a bowl when they are ready.
- Repeat direction 9 until mushrooms are done.
- Take the skillet off the heat for a moment.
- Turn on the crockpot/slow cooker.
- Drain the potatoes, placing them in the crockpot.
- Add one package of 450 ml veggie broth (just over 2 cups) to the potatoes.
- Add the carrot and parsnip to the crockpot, covering with a lid.
- In a separate bowl, add together and stir the tamari sauce, balsamic glaze and the tomato puree.
- Time to deglaze the mushroom pan by adding another 450 ml packet of veggie broth to the pan. Place on low heat.
- Add the tamari mixture into the deglazing pan.
- Open crock pot lid and pour the deglazing pan into the crockpot.
- Pour the fried mushrooms into the crockpot then cover with lid.
- Add 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil to a deglazed pan on medium heat.
- Pour in chopped onions and celery.
- Add a swish of pepper and sea salt.
- Add to crockpot
- Deglaze this pan again with rest of veggie broth and red wine (or more veggie broth).
- Add fresh thyme from sprig to crockpot stir it all then cover. (Dry will do, too; about a teaspoon.)
- Stir occasionally, tasting broth; add pepper and salt to taste. If more broth is needed for your taste, just add.
- Serve with a warm loaf of bread.