Baked Spanish Omelette
600 g / 21 oz waxy potatoes
e.g. charlotte, maris peer or salad potatoes
1½ TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 large onion diced
½ tsp salt
60 ml / ¼ cup soya milk
300 g/ 10 ½ oz silken tofu drained
1 tsp Dijon mustard
45 g / 1/3 cup gram flour
(aka chickpea flour, besan flour)
2 TBSP nutritional yeast flakes
2 TBSP cornflour (cornstarch)
¼ tsp ground turmeric
¼ tsp black salt (kala namak)
optional – adds an ‘eggy’ flavour
– for greasing the pan
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C (180C fan). Grease the sides of a 22cm / 9” loose-bottom flan tin and line the bottom with non-stick baking paper.
- Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters, then into 0.5cm / 1/5 inch slices. Boil the potatoes for 10 minutes or until tender, then drain using a colander.
- Meanwhile, heat ½ TBSP extra virgin olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan (skillet) on medium-low heat and cook the onions, stirring now and then.
- Prepare the batter: place the milk, silken tofu, mustard, gram flour, nutritional yeast, cornflour, turmeric and black salt (if using) in a large mixing bowl and blend smooth using a hand blender (alternatively use a jug blender).
- When the potatoes are tender, tip them into the frying pan with the onion. Add 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil and ½ tsp salt. Continue cooking for a couple of minutes on medium heat, stirring regularly until the potatoes are fully coated in the oil and salt. Taste test and add a touch more salt or oil, if needed.
- Add the potatoes and onions to the batter and stir through.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and press it down using a silicone spatula. Cook for 30 minutes, or until the tortilla is firm to the touch and a skewer inserted through the middle comes out clean. Leave to rest for at least 10 minutes (it will firm up as it cools), then gently run a knife round the outer edge and transfer the omelette to a chopping board.
- Stored in an airtight container in the fridge, the omelette will keep for up to five days.
This recipe was kindly provided by Bit of the Good Stuff and originally published at: https://bitofthegoodstuff.com/2019/02/vegan-spanish-potato-omelette/