Garlic & Rosemary Baked Vegan Camembert
For the Camembert
75g raw cashews, soaked for at least 4 hours (preferably overnight)
1 tsp flaky salt (halve if using fine salt)
1 large clove of garlic
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp tapioca flour/starch
A small bunch of rosemary
2 garlic cloves
1/2 tbsp olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and line a small dish with greaseproof paper.
- Add all the camembert ingredients to a blender and process until you have a completely smooth liquid. It will be very watery.
- Pour the liquid into a saucepan and cook over a low-medium heat stirring constantly with a spatula. It will start to thicken, looking quite lumpy at first - this is normal! Keep stirring until the mixture has all become thick and gooey in texture (think about how melted cheese would look). The mixture should still be runny enough to pour so be careful not to overcook it. Have a taste to check the seasoning and add a bit more salt if needed.
- Pour the cheese mixture into your lined dish. Slice the remaining garlic cloves into little strands and gently poke them into the surface of the cheese at intervals. Also add in some sprigs of rosemary, then drizzle over the olive oil and sprinkle on some black pepper.
- Carefully place into the oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes, checking after 15. It will puff up slightly during baking and is ready when it has a lightly golden outer skin with a warm, gooey middle.
Best eaten immediately.