70g white cane sugar
7g tea (2 tea bags) – white/black/green/oolong
1L filtered water
200ml Starter Liquid / SCOBY (this is the kombucha culture)
Clean brewing vessel (glass jar), breathable cloth, elastic band, label.
- Steep tea for 10 minutes in 200ml boiling water.
- Remove the tea, add sugar, stir until dissolved.
- Add 800ml cool filtered water to lower the temperature.
- Ensure sweet tea solution is below 30°C, add starter liquid / SCOBY.
- Cover with a breathable cloth + label. Leave in a warm place, ideal temperature is 24-27°C, out of direct sunlight.
Start tasting after 5 days, your kombucha should be ready to drink within 10–20 days depending on how sweet or sour you like it. When ready, decant into a flip top bottle and add flavour for a second fermentation if you wish. Leave out at room temp to create carbonation, or store straight in the fridge and enjoy!
Second Ferment Ideas
- White Tea and Cardamom
- Rooibus, Clove and Orange Peel
- Grapefruit and Juniper
- Chamomile and Lemongrass