Lemon Meringue Pie
1 cup flour
3 tbsp vegan butter or margerine
1/2 cup sugar
3 lemons, juice of
3/4 cups caster sugar
2 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp water
2 tbsp coconut cream from tin (the creamy bit)
1/2 tin aquafaba water (from 1/2 tin chickpeas)
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 tsp vinegar
- To make the shortcrust pastry mix together the first three ingredients and knead until well combined. Shape into a ball and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- To make the Lemon curd filling place the juice of three lemons and sugar into a saucepan and heat until the sugar is dissolved. mix the cornflour with the cold water until dissolved and stir into the hot juice sugar mix. Stir constantly until it thickens. Now add the coconut milk, stir well and let it cool.
- Roll out the pastry. Grease an eight inch tart tin and press the pastry into it.
Blind bake the pastry for about 15 minutes at 175 degrees C. Pour in the lemon curd. let it cool completely.
- To make the meringue. Pour the aquafaba into a bowl add the cream of tartar and mix at full speed until its very firm. Gradually add the sugar and vinegar and mix until very very firm peaks appear.
- Pipe or slather onto the now completely cool base and lemon curd and bake in a preheated over at 130 degrees C for about 45 -50 minutes or until the meringue is crunchy.
This recipe was kindly provided by Maryles Plantry and originally published at: http://the-vegantwins-plantry.com/vegan-lemon-meringue-pie/