Tahini Date Caramel Bars
For the base
100g ground almonds
4 tbsp coconut oil, melted
4 tbsp maple syrup
3 tbsp maca powder
2 tbsp tahini
For the filling
400g dates, soaked for 3-4 hours
2 tbsp soaking water
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
For the coating
400g chocolate — dark chocolate with
high cocoa content will work best
- First soak the dates for 3-4 hours to soften them.
- In a food processor whizz the ingredients for the base together until the oats have broken down.
- Press into the bottom of a lined brownie tin. You can use the bottom of a glass to help compress the mixture.
- For the filling put the dates, tahini, vanilla and salt in a blender and blend until smooth. If your blender needs help then add 2 tbsp of the soaking water.
- Pour the date mixture over the base and smooth the top. Put into the freezer to set.
- Once frozen remove from the tin and cut into pieces. I made small thumb sized bars but you can make bigger ones too.
- Chop the chocolate and melt in a small bowl over hot water.
- Lower each bar into the melted chocolate on a fork and spoon over the chocolate so that it is covered on all sides. The chocolate will set quickly as the bars are still frozen. Drizzle with any extra chocolate for decoration.
They will keep in the fridge for 2 or 3 days or if you want to keep them longer then store in the freezer and remove 30 mins before eating.